21 March 2010

Dear Jesus

Sometimes I don't get you.

You're a mystery to me. Yet you're so intriguing I cannot help but continue to follow you, even though sometimes it's from a distance, and I don't know where you're leading. Just when I think I have it figured, you go and do something I least expect, you're nothing like me. "My ways are not your ways" you say, I say "no kidding".

You trouble me. You let us ponder over you in our ignorance, but you never impatiently jump in without an invite. I wish you would - it would make explaining you so much easier. But you don't fear what we think of you, even those who don't think of you at all, but I do know they trouble you, too.

You annoy me. You're inside me, my heart bursts when you're around, but I get so lonely when you seem far off and you make me wait. Even though you haven't gone anywhere, you let me work it out for myself whilst giving me something of a clue, but you don't do it they way I think you should do.

You own me. But it's like I have no choice, I'm sold out to you now and there's no turning back. We've come too far, you've come through for me every time - when I've put you to the test and you didn't disappoint me, you always gave me what I needed, showed me grace even when I threw it all back in your face.

You love me. It always comes back to this. I've heard it said so many times, but the reality of it I cannot fathom. This is the most mysterious, troubling, annoying thing about you.

I'd understand if you got mad when I made a mistake, if you made me feel guilty about things, if you stopped talking to me when I didn't do want you want, but you don't do any such things.

You are not strict
You are not unkind
You are not irrational
You are not impatient
You are not distant
You are not disinterested

No, you're nothing like me.

So, Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

No comments: